Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dad's Berry Pie


You're either a cake person, a cookie person, or a pie person. My husband is cake, I am cookie, my dad is pie. For dad, Christmas means mincemeat, fall calls for apple, spring may require strawberry-rhubarb and summer signals oozing berry pie a la mode. Raised on my grandma Mary's lovingly made baked goods, my dad knows good pie - though he'll tell you he's "never met a dessert he didn't like." Over the years, I have delighted in baking for him and planned to make this berry pie while they were visiting last week; it was a hit when we made it at my parents' house last summer. I bought a ton of berries and had my rolling pin ready, but we were busy having fun in the sun, and I never got the chance. With berries waiting, I knew I'd need to set aside some time to bake. I've made a few berry pies, but this one is definitely the best. It's not overly sweet (I reduce the sugar in the filling to 3/4 cup and add more lemon juice) and the tartness of the berries really shines through. The crust is crisp, flaky and buttery, the texture is gooey and cobbler-like and I prefer its almond streusel topping to the usual lattice. We hate to eat it without my dad, but we'll count this one as a practice attempt for the berry pie I'll make for him in August. Dad's Berry Pie was an ideal accompaniment to a Monday evening snuggled on the couch with a big glass of milk, and tasted even better for breakfast this morning.

{berries and zest}
{almost ready to bake}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you are trying to comment from an iPhone or iPad, there are scripting issues and the comment will not be posted. Please try commenting from another browser or device. Thank you! :)