Monday, March 11, 2013

Viral Video: US Wealth Inequality

I realize I'm going from cupcakes to wealth inequality, but have you seen this short video? 



This video has gone viral because it does such a great job illustrating not just wealth inequality in the United States, but the difference between our perceptions of inequality versus the reality of inequality.  It's shocking.

I showed it to my Sociology students this morning, went into my spiel on the vanishing middle class, etc.  and was surprisingly met with, "So? I have a car and a house. I don't really care what anyone else has."

In case that's your response, please watch this TED Talk on how economic inequality harms all of us. It's very good.

I heart Sociology.


{Top video via: Mashable}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you are trying to comment from an iPhone or iPad, there are scripting issues and the comment will not be posted. Please try commenting from another browser or device. Thank you! :)