Tuesday, March 5, 2013

NPR Crush: Eleanor Beardsley


My long-time NPR crush is Marketplace's swagtastic Kai Ryssdal, but I get a little flash of excitement whenever I hear Eleanor Beardsley chime in from Paris.

I travel between campuses and spend hours a week in my car happily listening to my friendly NPR companions. Beardsley seems less heard-from than other correspondents (not a lot of breaking news out of romantic Paris?), so my ears perk up when her charming southern accent hits the airwaves with, "From Paris, This is Eleanor Beardsley." A native of South Carolina, Beardsley's just-the-facts drawl always sounds so out of place in sexy, sophisticated Paris. She is down-home country fried steak in the land of seductive Coq au vin. And I like it. It's an extra treat to hear her speak French.

Here's an audio sample.

Sadly, if you google Eleanor Beardsley, many people don't love her. To them I say, absurdités!

A Haiku For My NPR Crush, Eleanor:

Eleanor Beardsley
I love you and your sweet twang
Keep doin' yo thang!


{n.b. To my few readers: Please don't leave me. I promise not to nerd out like this again. For a while.}

1 comment:

  1. I also have a major voice crush for E.B. The way she ends her reports with the almost dismissive way she says Paris. Her South Carolina roots are an interesting plus.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you are trying to comment from an iPhone or iPad, there are scripting issues and the comment will not be posted. Please try commenting from another browser or device. Thank you! :)