Monday, September 2, 2013

Weekending

We labored this Labor Day weekend, but enjoyed some fun, too.

Saturday I was aglow with the imminent prospect of fall and in the excitement of the changing season, decided it was time to take action in my closet. I started the clean-out early in the morning and by noon was finally finished, and dripping with sweat. Fall is definitely not here and Saturday was the stickiest, most humid day yet. I loaded everything up and drove it over to Goodwill in my air conditioned car. As always, it felt good to get rid of stuff. A couple observations from my closet clean-out: I tried on a vintage dress I bought in college when I was much skinnier, and had to come to terms with the fact that I will probably never be that size again. It pained me to give it away. God, undergraduate stress, living on top ramen, and darting all over campus must do wonderful things for your figure. Also, I realized I was getting rid of a lot less stuff this year. Thanks to our financial fast, I am no longer buying cheap fabrics a la Forever 21 and instead have been investing in fewer, higher-quality items. Ah, the realities of aging - better clothes but in a larger size.

Sunday we couldn't take the heat anymore and decided to go to Flavio's air-conditioned office to get some work done for the busy week ahead. We brought a little floor picnic, put on some music and worked away on our computers as we basked in the air-controlled heaven of his empty branch. It was actually kind of fun. Saturday night we watched Breaking Bad episodes and cooked dinner.

Can I go off on a nerdy tangent about Breaking Bad? It is so not the kind of show I would normally watch - I can't stand violence, drugs, etc. so it's completely out of my usual genre - but it's the psychology, the moral ambiguity, and the situational ethics that have sucked me in. I love its overall commentary on the current travesty of our healthcare system, reminding us that with expensive privatized medicine regular people may have to choose between hundreds of thousands of dollars in cancer treatments or the financial well-being of their families. It is dark and existential and prompts questions about moralism versus nihilism, questionable protagonists versus anti-heroes, loyalty versus law, and ultimately asks: Are we all breaking bad?  It's visceral and brilliantly written. I'm sad it's the last season.

Anywho, this morning we got up early for CrossFit, went with some gym friends for coffee and then spent most of the day at the beach to let our furry friend cool off in the ocean. Now we've got a pot of chili simmering on the stove and we're sipping on icy beers. It's been a nice day.

Yikes. I've said too much. A few randoms from this weekend...

Coronado on Labor Day:

More sunsets from our porch. Are you sick of them yet? I can't get enough. Every evening brings a new miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you are trying to comment from an iPhone or iPad, there are scripting issues and the comment will not be posted. Please try commenting from another browser or device. Thank you! :)