Monday, March 3, 2014

How Cooking Can Change Your Life

We're back on another 30 Days of Paleo - Something had to be done after we went to my parents' and I gorged on pizza and cheesecake more times than I'd like to admit. So, Flavio and a couple friends and I are challenging ourselves to get off the crack (carbs and sugar) for the next month. What I love about these paleo re-sets is all the cooking we do. Flavio and I turn on music, talk, and have fun in the kitchen, and then at mealtime we know exactly what we're putting into our bodies. All this home-cooking reminds me to follow my favorite healthy-eating trick, which I learned from food theorist Michael Pollan. In the fun little video below, Pollan reminds us that some foods (like french fries) are labor intensive and celebratory and thus not meant to be eaten daily. If we only cooked these foods at home, they'd be eaten with much less frequency and prepared in a very different way than if you were to buy them from a corporation. He says, "What predicted a healthy diet more than anything else was that it was being cooked by a human being (not by a corporation)...Eat anything you want, just cook it yourself."Simple and true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you are trying to comment from an iPhone or iPad, there are scripting issues and the comment will not be posted. Please try commenting from another browser or device. Thank you! :)