Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Empathy

I'm not back in the classroom yet but since my hard drive got wiped out, I've been sifting through all my documents in an effort to re-create soft copies (backed up!), slowly piecing my classes back together. This afternoon I stumbled upon a worksheet that highlights this video, an animated short I showed my classes when we were talking about the difference between empathy and sympathy. It's an important lesson about not getting stuck in the sympathy trap, not trying to "silver line" everything for someone who is hurting, but instead being vulnerable enough to connect with something in yourself that knows their feeling. It's just 3 minutes and is funny, moving, and totally worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you are trying to comment from an iPhone or iPad, there are scripting issues and the comment will not be posted. Please try commenting from another browser or device. Thank you! :)