Sunday, January 5, 2014

Cold Turkey

I gave up coffee on New Year's Eve - not intentionally, I just couldn't keep anything down - and decided to be true to my resolution to drink less caffeine and go ahead with an experiment in giving it up longterm. Flavio sweetly went cold turkey with me and while we've now passed the headaches and fatigue (thank god), I am really mourning the loss of my morning cups of joe. The smell, the taste, the sound as it brews and percolates... sigh. Sunday morning is just not the same.

{decaf vanilla tea, Chris' heavenly pumpkin roll}

Those who've been reading over the last year might know I have trouble with anxiety. According to my acupuncturist, my caffeine intake exacerbates it and also messes with my adrenals (whatever that means). So in an effort to see if less caffeine equals less worry, I've switched over to this decaf tea in the mornings which is a nice coffee substitute since it can handle milk.

I'm still deciding whether I can do the occasional cup of coffee as a treat, even though I know I am better at abstaining than moderating. But coffee is such a part of my life (!) I'll probably go back to it at some point. For now this is just a break, not a break up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you are trying to comment from an iPhone or iPad, there are scripting issues and the comment will not be posted. Please try commenting from another browser or device. Thank you! :)